Tuesday, August 12, 2008

being nothing

On Sunday, the pastor, or, as I like to call him, Dad was talking about Psalm 8:4. David asks,

"What is man, that Thou art mindful
of him? And the son of man that Thou visits him?"

Everyone is in the fast lane anymore, trying to be something - anything - in their job, relationships, or in just their lives. But what we forget is that we are nothing and all of our perceived good works as just as good as filthy rags.
But we don't understand this. We think that the further up the corporate ladder we can get, the better life will ultimately be.
Dad mentioned Moses. This guy had it all going for him. He had to be absolutely nothing -less than nothing even- before God could use him. Now that I think about it, the reason why Moses could to enter the Promised Land in the end was because he exalted himself above God.
Robert E. Lee, one of the most devout men in history, said,

"I tremble for my country when I hear of
confidence expressed in me. I know
too well... that our only hope is in God."


I just wish that more people, myself included, were content with being nothing.

No comments: