Friday, February 29, 2008

R is for Perfect

Today, I left chapel feeling .: perfect :.

I felt as if the speaker thought people were perfect, as if the entire PHC community was perfect and life was -- you've guessed it -- Perfect.

That's not life. Sorry. We're not perfect and we shouldn't try to be (my apologies to Ben Franklin).

Sometimes, people want perfection in God, each other and ourselves.

God is perfect. Sometimes we don't agree with His will for our lives. So we classify our malcontent as 'imperfection'. Just because we dont like the way God is leading our lives doesn't mean we are embarking on the wrong lifestyle. Oftentimes, these moments of dicomfort are with ourselves, but we like the blame God.

We seek perfection in others. By perfection, I mean no faults. This is a lie that we live with every day. We truly expect those we love - or ones we desire to love - to be without faults. Then, when they mess up, we are disappointed.

I expect myself to be perfect. No explanation required.

Guess what? We're not.

No comments: