Sunday, February 10, 2008

Who You Think I Am

If you haven't already, I suggest you look at "Good Girl" lyrics from the album 'Room to Breathe.'

I want to thank Hannah for sending me this song. It re-defined me. I was refreshed and pushed back into myself, so to speak.

This post is rated S for Sappy - and T for True. Be forewarned... It'll be short, I promise. I have an outline to write.

Anyways, if you want to get on my good side, remind me of who I am. Ridiculous, right? Not really...

We are in a society where people don't know who they are or what they believe. The reason why people get in trouble is they have not yet found their identity.

But even after you find it, it's hard to keep it. All the time, I have to remind myself of who I am. Of what I stand for - of what I'm waiting for... once i realize this, life gets easier.

My take on verse one:
I'm going through something alone. I don't tell you my problems because I want you to make them magically all better. I tell you because it lifts the burdens off my shoulders.

Life isn't about fitting in. Once I make a decision based on my peers, I begin to lose myself. I become just another 'Flirt-in-a-skirt.' Sure, if you define flirt as, "Behave carelessly or indifferently, especially to the opposite gender", then, yeah. Guys are fun to talk to and converse with. And the skirt thing - guilty of that too... But there are actions that follow these Skirt/Flirt people. When I get to that level, I've lost me. I live like I am different, because I am.

My take on verse two:
I may be on my own, but I have what it takes, both spiritually and physically.

And when your dreams have been delayed/ You've got the strength to wait/ So keep on waiting.

This part speaks to me. God is holding something back from me. I know it. I am incomplete and I feel like it. But I can wait, and I will. God will complete me in His perfect timing - and I wouldn't have it any other way.

My take on verse three:
Kinda the "Rocky" girl coming out - you're not like the other girls: sugar, spice, and everything nice. You've got the grit and determination it takes to set you apart. Life isn't about you - It's about your Savior.

My take on the chorus:

Hang on, good girl, you're not the only one/ Be strong, good girl, when the pressure comes/ When they try to bring you down/ You'll be glad you stood your ground.

Lately, I've been giving in to the pressure. I've been losing myself.

.: fiNaL THouGhT :.
I want people to look at me and say, "Yeah, that's Rebekah..." Because, ya wanna know something? Whether or not you like it...
. . . that's who I am.

No comments: